Posted Thu Jun 28th by Jon Heath
Today is the great John Elway‘s 52nd Birthday. During his sixteen-years as a quarterback, Elway led the Denver Broncos to five Super Bowls (winning two), threw for 300 touchdowns, was selected to nine Pro Bowls, was a member of the NFL’s 1990s All-Decade Team and won a League MVP (1987).
After his career was finished, Elway’s No. 7 was retired by the team and he was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004. There’s plenty of footage of Elway on YouTube, including these highlights.
Last year, Elway returned to the team as the Vice President of Football Operations. In his first year, the Broncos went 8-8 and won the AFC West and earned a postseason birth for the first time in over five years. The Broncos were also the only team in the NFL to send a drafted rookie (linebacker Von Miller) and an acquired free agent (running back Willis McGahee) to the Pro Bowl last season.
Happy Birthday, Elway! Have a great day.
Your regularly scheduled Daily Links after the jump.
- Cornerback Champ Bailey (who also just had a birthday), went on the Jim Rome Show yesterday and said a Super Bowl ring was more important to him than a HOF jacket. As of Thursday morning, only JRS Insiders can listen to the audio, we are looking for public audio.
- Broncos’ Owner Pat Bowlen has pledged $50,000 towards the wildfire relief in Colorado. Defensive linemen Ben Garland, Mitch Unrein and Kevin Vickerson have all volunteered to visit with people who have been evacuated and will also visit with and encourage the firefighters.
- Denver Broncos tickets for individual games during the upcoming season at Sports Authority Field at Mile High will go on sale beginning July 23 at 11 a.m., the team announced Wednesday. Here is the team’s Training Camp Schedule.
- Don’t forget to vote for your favorite comments in our Von Miller trading card giveaway!
- Denver’s D.J. Williams has been one of the most productive pass rushers in the NFL over the past three seasons.