Posted Wed Jan 5th by Monty
If you missed the hour-plus-long press conference newly appointed Denver Broncos Executive Vice President of Football Operations John Elway delivered to a throng of media and reporters Wednesday afternoon, you missed a real doozie. And a franchise-changing event.
The curtains are coming down at Dove Valley. Transparency is clearly the new modus operandi.
“I know what I don’t know,” Elway said. “And I’m going to hire to what I don’t know.”
Here are the quick hits:
- Broncos interested in Jim Harbaugh: John Elway didn’t hesitate to confirm the Broncos’ interest in the Stanford coach. Elway said he exchanged a few words with Harbaugh at the Orange Bowl Tuesday night, telling Harbaugh that “if he decided to make the jump to the NFL, the Denver Broncos would be interested.” Harbaugh seems “jumpy”; he is reportedly interviewing with the San Francisco 49ers today.
- Perry Fewell a confirmed candidate. The Broncos will interview the New York Giants defensive coordinator Sunday, Elway said.
- Xanders remains, Elway the Top Dog: The Broncos will no longer be a “one man show,” as Elway put it. Brian Xanders will be retained as GM, but while Elway hopes Xanders and the head coach will find a consensus in any personnel decisions, he recognizes that it’ll be up to him to give the final say at times. “If there’s a difference between Xanders and the head coach, it’s my job to break that tie,” Elway said.
- On Quarterbacks: Elway said he couldn’t imagine a coach that didn’t want Tim Tebow as a player, but made it clear it’ll be up to the head coach as to who starts next year following a thorough evaluation process. “Tim Tebow is a darn good football player,” Elway said. “What we’ve got to make him is a darn good quarterback.” Elway also sang the praises of Kyle Orton, but you could tell he was glowing on another level when he talked about Tebow.
- On the Defense: The Broncos are “set up” for the 3-4, Elway said, and indicated that “hopefully” the new coach will lean that way. Champ Bailey‘s contract situation will continue to be evaluated, with Elway speaking highly of the cornerback.
Elway’s energy and exuberance really stole the show. No. 7 is back with the Broncos, orchestrating another comeback. Like Elway, we’re “thrilled to death.”