Denver Broncos blog, news and rumors
elvis-dumervil-pro-bowl1_original_display_image

(Getty Images)

Since firing his former agent, Elvis Dumervil has shown a desire to return to Denver.  But the possibility of that happening seems to be fading.

Dumervil’s new agent, Tom Condon, teamed up with John Elway and approached the NFL, asking them to honor the contract restructure that Dumervil had agreed to but did not come to pass thanks to a fax machine blunder.  Unfortunately, the league rejected the contract, keeping Dumervil a free agent.

With the league unwilling to honor the deal the team had agreed to with Dumervil, it appears unlikely that the team will continue pursuing Dumervil.  As alternative options, the team is expected to consider free agent defensive ends John AbrahamDwight Freeney, and Osi Umenyiora, per the Denver Post.

More notes and links after the jump. Click here to read the rest of this entry »

Published on Mon Mar 18 17:05.   5 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Denver Broncos safety Rahim Moore (R) throws Buffalo Bills wide receiver Donald Jones to the ground after an incomplete pass to Jones during their pre-season NFL football game in Denver August 20, 2011. Moore was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play.  (REUTERS/Rick Wilking)

Denver Broncos safety Rahim Moore showed marked improvement from 2011 to 2012 (REUTERS/Rick Wilking)

At any gathering where there are at least two fans of the Denver Broncos communicating with each other, there will indubitably be a point in the discussion when the topic turns to Denver’s need for a free agent safety.

Aside from a play that really wasn’t his fault, Rahim Moore was one of the best safeties in the entire NFL last season.

Don’t lynch me just yet, there is proof, this isn’t just opinion.

I will pull the proof via the analysis that the great people at ProFootballFocus.com have provided over the course of the last few months. Illuminating first that PFF included Moore in their, ‘2012 PFF All Sophomore Team‘. It would be fair of you to point out that there simply aren’t that many safeties from the Class of 2012 who are seeing a significant amount of time.

However, they backed that opinion up by also placing Moore in their, ‘All AFC West Team‘. In fact, the only member of the Broncos secondary who didn’t make the list was Mike Adams, but more on him in a bit. Click here to read the rest of this entry »

Published on Mon Mar 18 04:44.   13 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , , , , .

After releasing defensive end Elvis Dumervil earlier this week, the Denver Broncos have approximately $7.1 million remaining in 2013 cap space, according to spotrac.com.


There are conflicting reports as to whether or not the team will try to bring Dumervil back, but Elvis reportedly wants to return to Denver.

Published on Sun Mar 17 12:33.   23 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , .

(Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

(Photo by Grant Halverson/Getty Images)

UPDATED 3/16 7:35 EST

It is possible that Gary Miller is pre-gaming a bit early, but let us error on the side of sobriety. Denver’s KCNC-TV’s Miller tweeted just moments ago that according to one of his NFL sources (Robert Ayers?) that the Denver Broncos would be moving on without Elvis Dumervil.

This would certainly end a whirlwind that went into full hurricane mode yesterday afternoon.

Today alone it has been reported that Dumervil fired his agent Marty Magid and he is rumored to have hired Peyton Manning’s agent Tom Condon. All of this setup against a backdrop of the Baltimore Ravens expressing ‘solid’ interest in the free agent defensive end, according to the Baltimore Sun Times.

UPDATE 3/16 7:35 PM EST:

Not so fast!

NFL Network’s Albert Breer says that he has been told that, “No decision has been made yet,” as to whether or not the Broncos will re-sign Dumervil.

As you can see, the story has changed just in the last thirty minutes. We will keep you up-to-date as we have all weekend as this story develops.

Published on Sat Mar 16 17:11.   76 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , .

(Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

(Steve Dykes/Getty Images)

UPDATED 3/16 7:00 PM EST:

We have been doing our best to keep everyone up-to-date on what is going on with the Elvis Dumervil and a twitter hash tag that I cannot include here.

Here is what we have gathered.

The Denver Broncos had until 4:00 PM EST today to either release Dumervil or guarantee him $13 million for the 2013 season. What Dumervil’s agent Marty Magid is saying is that the team made an offer of $6.5 million at 1 PM EST today, before coming up at $7 million and finally arriving at around 2:30 PM EST and that Dumervil needed time to ‘digest it’.

The Broncos version of the story says that they made the $8 million offer at 1 PM EST this afternoon and did not change the deal at all throughout the day. Instead, they gave Magid the hard dead line of needing to know Dumervil’s decision by 3 PM EST.

At 3 PM Magid informed Denver that Dumervil would not be taking the Broncos offer and the team prepared to release Dumervil from his contract. At 3:25 PM the team was informed that Dumervil would sign and the team waited on the paper work.

“The bottom line is that our offer did not change from 11 o’clock to 1 o’clock Eastern to the time they decided to take the deal. By the time they decided they did not give themselves enough time to send the signed document back to beat the 2 o’clock deadline,” John Elway said just moments ago.

Click here to read the rest of this entry »

Published on Fri Mar 15 18:02.   34 Comments |
Tagged: , , , .

Dumervil is currently in free agency limbo..

Dumervil is currently in free agency limbo..

UPDATED (3/15 7:10 PM EST): check the bottom of the page for the latest update:

This is breaking, so excuse the fact that we will need to keep this post updated (meaning refresh this page for the latest news). What we have is a tweet from the Denver Post’s Mike Klis that indicated that Marty Magid, the agent of Elvis Dumervil did not fax the restructured contract to the NFL’s office in time.

No big deal, right?

Well, no it is, this forced Denver to release Elvis Dumervil.

What a difference 30 minutes can make.

As for now Dumervil is a free agent, the Broncos are carrying $4.87 million in dead money, but have freed up nearly $8 million in the release.

By all means, this does not mean that Dumervil will be touring the country in search of a new team. However, the contract will need to be rewritten.

Here is a timeline of events, per the NFL Network’s Albert Breer:

3:25 EST: Dumervil accepted Denver’s proposed contract, which reduced his salary from $12 million plus to $8 million. The team indicated to Dumervil’s reps that they needed to fax a signed deal back by 3:59 EST. When it didn’t come back, the Broncos released him. The team has a fax with a signed deal from Dumervil’s people timestamped at 4:06 EST.

The Broncos indicated that the release was in order to, “Protect ourselves.”

Click here (or refresh this page for the updates as the story develops Click here to read the rest of this entry »

Published on Fri Mar 15 14:26.   33 Comments |
Tagged: , , .

Dumervil has agreed to come down on his cap number for 2013.

Dumervil has agreed to come down on his cap number for 2013.

UPDATE (3/15 4:30 PM EST): Not so fast, check this post here.

Albert Breer of NFL Network was first to announce that Denver Broncos defensive end Elvis Dumervil will be staying with the Broncos for the 2013 season (and much longer).

Early word is that he will reduce his salary from close to $13 million down to $8 million, saving Denver a little more than $4 million. Per ESPN’s Adam Schefter the deal includes a $3.5 million guarantee on the second day of the league year in 2014. Breer noted that Dumervil’s numbers come down off of the next two years as well to $10 million in 2014 and $8.19 million in 2015.

The Broncos were quite all day on Thursday (the second day of the NFL 2013 free agency), but it looks like they may have been focusing on some in house free agency. Tying up the last of the loose ends.

Though there is no official announcement just yet, word comes just twenty minutes before the 4 PM EST deadline in which the team would have had to cut Dumervil or paid him the $13 million that they owed him.

The supposed $8 million contract is in line with what Dumervil would likely have received on the open market. The young phenom free agent defensive ends have been receiving on average between $7-$8 million (and that’s the young guys), while two accomplished veterans like Osi Umenyiora and Dwight Freeney have yet to sign deals.

We are also connecting a few dots on whether or not Ryan Clady’s franchise tag may be negotiated into a long term contract (freeing up even more money for 2013). We will have more on that soon.

Published on Fri Mar 15 13:45.   13 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , .

Dumervil

Will Dumevil be wearing orange and blue in 2013? (AP Photo/Barry Gutierrez)

In a matter of hours, we will know whether Elvis Dumervil will be a former member of the Denver Broncos, or a Denver Bronco for the foreseeable future.

Before 1:59 p.m. MT Friday, Dumervil will either be cut or have taken a paycut. There is no third option; the team will not pay him the $12 million salary in 2013 his contract currently mandates. John Elway made that crystal clear in his latest quotes to The Denver Post:

“It’s not all about dollars. But when it’s way out of whack? Then it’s so out of whack that you’ve got to say: That (salary) can’t be it. Especially when you look at the market and what’s out there now,” Elway told The Post. “It’s so far out of whack. Hopefully, (Dumervil) realizes that.”

That’s one, two, three “out of whack”s from the team’s Executive Vice President of Football Operations. Does this just feel wrong to anyone else out there? Click here to read the rest of this entry »

Published on Fri Mar 15 10:08.   40 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , , .

USP NFL: DENVER BRONCOS AT SAN DIEGO CHARGERS S FBN USA CAFree Agency has been a whirlwind of information and status updates for the past 4 days. In order to regain some sanity and to start recovering from Free Agent burnout, lets discuss contracts for our own players that we should extend.

Spotrac has an up to the minute list of current Denver Broncos player contracts, so I’m asking you, BroncoTalk faithful, “who should the Denver Broncos re-sign, re-structure, or simply extend the contracts for?”

My list starts with Chris Harris and Von Miller. Chris Harris only made $466,000 last year (not including his 53.6% bonus). For a starting cornerback in the NFL, that is woefully underpaid, and that isn’t even to mention that Harris *might* be the Broncos BEST cornerback. Yes, Champ Bailey is an all time great, but as it stands right now, there is a strong argument that Chris Harris is actually better. I’m going to leave out Elvis Dumervil for obvious reasons (contract talks are ongoing).

Von Miller is paid more handsomely than Chris Harris at $5,250,095, but for the premiere pass rusher and linebacker in the NFL, his salary isn’t quite up to snuff. I would sign Miller to a long term contract sooner rather than later simply because playing the wait game will cost the Broncos even more money. Make no mistake, locking up Miller for a max length contract will still cost a pretty penny, but each season that the Broncos let pass will only add a few extra million per year to that contract. Click here to read the rest of this entry »

Published on Fri Mar 15 08:32.   11 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

The Denver Broncos introduced newly signed wide receiver Wes Welker at the team’s facility in Dove Valley, Colorado on Thursday.

Welker, 31, signed a two-year, $12 million deal with the Broncos on Wednesday.

Team executive John Elway introduced Welker at 3:30 p.m., calling him a “tremendous fit” for Denver’s offense.  Welker went on to say that “winning” was the main factor in choosing the Broncos, noting that he was excited to play with Eric Decker and Demaryius Thomas.

“I am definitely looking forward to that one,” Welker said when asked about returning to Foxborough in 2013.  The Patriots are one of eight teams that the Broncos will play on the road next season.

Welker added that quarterback Peyton Manning has reached out to him and they are both looking forward to working with each other.

Published on Thu Mar 14 15:16.   10 Comments |
Tagged: , , , , , , , , , .