Posted Tue Mar 27th by Monty
Peyton Manning is a Denver Bronco, but the behind-the-scenes details of how that came to be hadn’t been told. Until now.
Sports Illustrated‘s Peter King breaks down the story of how the Broncos landed the biggest free agent in NFL history in his latest excellent column. Read it from Page 1 to 6 for tales of subterfuge, but in case you’re strapped for time, here are a number of highlights (we will break down each of these in-depth throughout the next few days) –
- John Fox knows a thing or two about recruiting.
- The Redskins and Mike Shanahan were more in play than anyone — including themselves, perhaps — knew.
- Jack Del Rio and Mike McCoy told Manning they plan to stick around. Probably.
- Broncos’ PR director Patrick Smyth played a big role in wooing Manning.
- A comfortability with a confident John Elway is what ultimately sold Manning.
I’m eager to bring you my thoughts on some (perhaps each) of these anecdotes soon, but in the meantime, read and enjoy.
Peyton Manning’s Long Game [Sports Illustrated]