Posted Mon Sep 12th by Monty
Being bitter rivals, the Denver Broncos and Oakland Raiders don’t like to admit they have anything in common. But one undeniable feature the teams share is that they’re led by new head coaches from a year ago. John Fox and Hue Jackson both hope to start their respective eras with a bang on Monday Night Football.
Six other teams in the NFL also boast new head coaches from Week One in 2010, but, for the most part, their respective eras started with a whimper. As Jason La Canfora points out, new coaches went 1-5 on opening weekend.
- Ron Rivera (CAR) lost 28-21 to ARI
- Leslie Frazier (MIN) lost 24-17 to SD
- Mike Munchak (TEN) lost 16-14 to JAC
- Pat Shurmur (CLE) lost 27-17 to CIN
- Jason Garrett (DAL) lost 27-24 to NYJ
- Jim Harbaugh (SF) defeated SEA 33-17
Of course, since it’s new coach vs. new coach Monday night, someone has to win. The record will move to 2-6.
But here’s one item worth noting: of all of those new coaches, Fox is the only one with at least a season of previous NFL head coaching experience. Advantage: Broncos.