Posted Sat Dec 25th by Jon Heath
I was going to make this my Christmas wish list for the Broncos next head coach, but since bringing in a proven General Manager before hiring another coach is on the list, I’ll call it my Christmas wish list for the Broncos. Here’s my open wish list to the Broncos:
- Bring in a proven GM, someone like, Bill Parcells maybe. Then bring in a Head Coach.
- You’re going to have a really high draft pick, don’t draft Andrew Luck and give up on Tebow, trade down and accumulate more picks to be able to draft more defensive players. More on what players/positions below.
- Find a way to keep Champ Bailey — he’s still one of the elite cornerbacks in the game.
- Switch back to a 4-3 defense. Such a move would be a hard one to make and would take some time to adjust to, but since most of the players on the roster have played on a 4-3 in the past, it would be a feasible task. The 3-4 experiment looked like it was working at the beginning of the 2009 season, but the defense has fallen apart since, and it’s time to wipe the plate clean and start from scratch.
- Move Mario Haggan and D.J. Williams to the outside and make Joe Mays the center of the new 4-3 defense. Both Williams and Haggan have played OLB and Mays–I think–is going to be a great one for years to come. With those three as the linebackers, the Broncos can move Robert Ayers and Elvis Dumervil to LE and RE respectively, giving them the opportunity to do what they were drafted to do on every down — rush the passer. Outside linebackers Wesley Woodyard and Jason Hunter provide great depth to the linebacker group and would make fine situational players. And if the Broncos coaching staff don’t think they can get three good starters out of the seven above mentioned linebackers, they’ll have have a chance to go after some in the draft and free agency.
- Using the draft and free agency, bring in a NT, DE, CB, S, LB, RB, FB and O-line depth. Basically, get a whole new defense and some players to fix the offenses’ rushing woes. I’ll leave the draft Mocking to Mr. East, but I’ll just throw out there that I love Patrick Peterson (CB, LSU), Jared Crick (DE/DT, Nebraska), and Nick Fairley (NT, Aubrun).
- Bring back the Orange jerseys — make the alternate orange the norm. I have not ever met a Bronco fan who does not like the alternate Orange jerseys and personally I love them! This is the wish I think has the best possibility of being granted, if you’re with me on this, go sign the Bring Back The Broncos Orange Jerseys Petition. If enough fans sign, we could be watching our beloved Broncos in Orange on Sunday afternoons in 2012, if not sooner.
- A win tomorrow and next week against the Chargers — finish the season on a strong note and give us something to be excited about going into 2011.
Keep in mind that this is a Wish list, I don’t really expect many of these things to happen, but I would love it if they did. What’s on your wish list, Bronco fans?